Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Herbiceps
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Ronda Rousey (Read 5970 times)
Metalcrack

I love stout beer!

Re: Ronda Rousey
Reply #15 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 11:28am

Both girls in the fight look really good, but Ronda's attitude (of which I don't know how much is show) is such a turn-off.

Wish list: Alyssa Milano, Rachel McAdams, Kaley Cuoco, Genevieve Cortese, Y. Strahovski, Heidi Lovelace, Rhea Seehorn

IP Logged

spin
God Member

The Internet Voice of
Reason

Reply #16 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 9:09pm

IP Logged

6789shav
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #17 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 9:21pm

There is actually a big time contrast present here which I doubt anyone has noticed, except maybe for Spin.

The writer in the Reply #16 link starts out: "Once again, the female fighters stole the show on a StrikeForce Saturday night........"

The contrast?? I believe Dana White continues to maintain that women aren't good enough to be on UFC. Maybe he's taking his cues about women from Rick Santorum.......

IP Logged

spin
God Member

The Internet Voice of
Reason

Reply #18 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 10:18pm

6789shav wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 9:21pm:
The contrast?? I believe Dana White continues to maintain that women aren't good enough to be on UFC.

Dana's obviously addressed this. Its not that he thinks they aren't good enough; he thinks that there's not enough of them. And unfortunately he's right. Outside of the four we saw on Showtime, and Cyborg, there's not much out there.

But there could be a bunch of potential Rousey's ready to go. No doubt a bunch of world class judokas and wrestlers were watching this, and thinking it could make some financial sense for them to give it a go.

And since Dana has cherry picked most of the good Strikeforce MMA guys for UFC, he would like to make Showtime the destination place for women's MMA, because it justifies their contract with him. In that vein, it would make sense next year, when Cyborg is off suspension, to do a woman's Ultimate Fighter show with Cyborg and Ronda as coaches. That could create a bunch of new stars.

IP Logged

jake789

Florida
Reply #19 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 11:43pm

There are so many facets to this whole story. At the moment, there's no doubt that Rousey is a hot ticket. She's dazzled everyone with lightning-fast wins over all comers. But I see troubles on the horizon.

First of all, she comes from a family where athletics were prominent, and took her abilities as far as a bronze medal in the Olympics. Despite all of that, she has failed to learn that sportsmanship is a basic tenet of sports. Perhaps her mother should have taken an hour from teaching her about armbars to lecture her on how to act as an athlete. A winner should be humble in victory and kind to the vanquished. It would have been very easy for Rousey to appreciate Tate's fortitude bearing the pain of her submission hold for so long and/or to recognize her as her greatest professional challenge in the post-match interview, but Rousey instead chose to be a jerk. It would have been the least Rousey could do considering the probability that she caused enough damage to take away Tate's livelihood and career.

Being a professional now, Rousey should consider the business aspects of her persona and her performance. Unlike professional wrestling, where heels are a part of the show (and the public knows it's a show), MMA is promoted as genuine competition (and the damage that Rousey has left in her wake confirms its authenticity). I am not confident that the public will accept and idolize anyone for very long who so purposely and coldly maims her opponents. If she loses support, she becomes a liability.

Compounding the problem I foresee are two other issues: lack of versatility and limited return on ticket purchases. Here's what I mean...

Like the pop singer with one big hit, it's fun to hear it performed for a while, but then everyone asks, "can't she perform any other song?" That parallels Rousey and her armbar. After all these matches, can't she do anything else? Again, to reference pro wrestling, many big names have a signature "finishing move", but they must know many other things to carry out a match.

It's impressive to see someone so dominant that she barely takes a minute to win, but I don't believe it will be long before the audience feels cheated. A quick victory is OK once in a while, but if it becomes too predictable, the fans will become bored. Imagine if a boxer always knocked out his opponent with the first swing. It would make the news, everyone would be wowed, but how long would an audience keep coming to the arenas or even tuning in their TVs to see the same outcome?

With all of these negatives, I just don't see the "Golden Girl" retaining her shine for as long as many people now seem to believe. She may still be able to destroy her challengers, but I just don't think that many will care.

IP Logged

spin
God Member

The Internet Voice of
Reason

Reply #20 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 4:59am

jake789 wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 11:43pm:
Unlike professional wrestling, where heels are a part of the show (and the public knows it's a show), MMA is promoted as genuine competition (and the damage that Rousey has left in her wake confirms its authenticity). I am not confident that the public will accept and idolize anyone for very long who so purposely and coldly maims her opponents. If she loses support, she becomes a liability.

I couldn't disagree more. Being a heel in MMA hasn't hurt Tito Ortiz, Brock Lesnar, or Chael Sonnen one bit, just to name a few. And in boxing its been great for Ali and Mayweather too. At its core, just like pro wrestling, this is one on one competition. The best way to build interest is to have an issue with your opponent, and here, its even better than wrestling, because its real. When Ronda said she wasn't feeling sorry, she was being genuine. That alone will create greater interest in her future fights.

As to this one trick pony thing with the armbar, hey, no one has stopped it yet. If it aint broke, don't fix it. And she keeps coming up with different ways to get it, which will maintain the hold's attraction. Kind of like Kurt Angle with that ankle lock, although now he's running out of creative ways to apply it.

IP Logged

Mxyzptlk

Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:18am

I always thought Dana's opposition to women's mma was a mile wide and an inch deep. He now owns the company with the chicks and as far as I'm concerned, he's running the show. Someone once asked him when women would be in the ufc, and he replied "never!" Then he said it's because there's not enough depth. Certainly true, but a softening of his previous declaration. There was an article the other day suggesting strikeforce be made a women's only federation, and that might be a good idea, IMO.

And I mostly agree with jake's assesment of Ronda, although I think her jawjacking style will be a benefit to her and wmma. Her fights are more spectacle than sport, very brief and with their predictable but gruesome conclusions. It has that train-wreck appeal and should attract an increasing number of casual observers, but it's less appealing to a true sports fan.
She's said she doesn't want to do this for very long, she wants to have kids and get into stuntwork and acting, I think that's a good plan. Make a big splash, and get out before people get tired of your act.

MY CHIMPANZEE IS EATING MY FRIEND!!!

IP Logged

Mxyzptlk

Reply #22 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 12:51am

hah!

UFConFox Press Conference : Dana White on WMMA & Ronda Rousey is going to be a big star.

IP Logged

kam16
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #23 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 11:16pm

Ronda to appear in ESPN Magazine's next The Body issue:  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

http://mmajunkie.com/news/27930/strikeforces-ronda-rousey-to-appear-in-espn-the-...

IP Logged

Mxyzptlk

Reply #24 - May 30th, 2012 at 11:20pm

IP Logged

Mxyzptlk

Reply #25 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 3:35pm

IP Logged

kam16
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #26 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 5:50am

kam16 wrote on Mar 23rd, 2012 at 11:16pm:
Ronda to appear in ESPN Magazine's next The Body issue:  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

http://mmajunkie.com/news/27930/strikeforces-ronda-rousey-to-appear-in-espn-the-...

I read today that this comes out July 13.

IP Logged

musclesequalsexy

I Love YaBB 2.4!

chicago
Reply #27 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 4:22am

Good to see her more "cut", first couple videos i saw of her, good fighter, nothing special on the abs/arms

also check out felice herrig weigh in at

www.gorgeousfemaleathletes.blogspot.com

another MMA hottie with some muscle

IP Logged

Mxyzptlk

Reply #28 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 12:06am

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:35pm by Starbuck2016 »  

IP Logged

kam16
God Member