IP Logged

spin
God Member

The Internet Voice of
Reason

Re: Dana Brooke WWE
Reply #256 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 1:29am

Top_Dogg wrote on Apr 26th, 2017 at 9:12pm:
Can we rename this board to "Bash Dana Brooke" because I swear that's all I see is trashing her for everything she does, at least that's what this board has become.

I say this because all you know of her is based off what you've seen on TV instead of actually talking to her (like I have the chance to do). This is gonna sound crazy, but she is more dedicated to WWE than most of you want to give her credit for. Again, this is from me ACTUALLY TALKING TO HER.

Dogg, it ain't working. Her dedication notwithstanding, her work has regressed and her diet is off kilter. Not saying she can't turn it around, but it's just not there now.

No matter how athletic they are, not everyone is made to be a pro wrestler.

IP Logged

Will_the_Thrill
YaBB Moderator

Muscle by Mickie :-)

Reply #257 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 2:44am

Top_Dogg wrote on Apr 26th, 2017 at 9:12pm:
Can we rename this board to "Bash Dana Brooke" because I swear that's all I see is trashing her for everything she does, at least that's what this board has become.

I say this because all you know of her is based off what you've seen on TV instead of actually talking to her (like I have the chance to do). This is gonna sound crazy, but she is more dedicated to WWE than most of you want to give her credit for. Again, this is from me ACTUALLY TALKING TO HER.

Dedication is one thing. The vast majority of WWE performers are "dedicated". But as Spin said, sometimes it's just not there no matter how hard you try.

As far as "bashing" Dana, it's not like we are saying she sucks, she's no good, she's a horrible person, she should be fired, yadda yadda yadda. Our comments are based on what have seen from her over the last couple of years. It's more like constructive criticism if anything. We all want to see Dana succeed naturally.

One useless man is called a disgrace. Two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress.

IP Logged

Cas
God Member

GO BLUE!

Michigan
Reply #258 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 3:19am

"We all want to see Dana succeed naturally" is the perfect statement. Nicely put Will.

Dogg, that's all it is with us, we're just "constructively criticizing"  things we know Ms. Sebera[Brooke] can change to make her time in WWE better. But like Spin said, you can be the best athlete ever, and still not hack it in WWE.

IP Logged

Top_Dogg

Female Muscle Rules...PERIOD!

Reply #259 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 6:42am

Talking about her makeup is not constructive criticism. Assuming she goes to eat wings and drink beer and stays in catering when you have no idea WHAT she really does outside of WWE and training is not constructive criticism. That's assumption.

If you honestly do want her to succeed, then here's a legit suggestion: talk to her. She has Twitter and Instagram and actually reads her comments/criticisms/and flat out hate almost on the daily. Posting on here and her NOT seeing it doesn't help her out at all and it can only be viewed as bashing. Just my two cents on the matter.

Founder/Owner of FitGems Nation, Ultimate Hardbods, Diva Physique, and USA Fit Cheer
IP Logged

Will_the_Thrill
YaBB Moderator

Reply #260 - May 18th, 2017 at 4:40pm

Didn't bother posting this in Sasha's thread because you can't see much anyway with her outfit on anyway.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAHStUXUAAA5-Km.jpg

One useless man is called a disgrace. Two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress.

IP Logged

kam16
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #261 - May 19th, 2017 at 4:39am

So given that Dana's staying on Raw rather than going back for more training, what can she do to improve in her current face role? I've had a few thoughts:

1) Modify her entrance. Flexing is her thing, but needs some changes to go from a cocky-heel move to a fun-face move. She loves kids and flexes with them on social media. She should build that into her ring entrance, finding some kids in the front row and getting them to join in. Another possibility: Dana's Flexcam.

2) Incorporate more of her gymnastics background. She's already said she's working on this. ("Always go back to what you know !!" she posted recently, speaking of gymnastics.) There's potential, done right. That twisting flip she does onto a prone opponent isn't the best move for her: She doesn't look like she's landing on her foe. (I've always had the same feeling about standing moonsaults. Yes, it's impressive you can do it, but you don't look like you're actually hitting someone!) But her handspring elbow at an opponent in a corner looks more impactful while also showing impressive athleticism in a big girl. So more moves like that, and this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BULUofSAO5F/

3) Find a template. A power game isn't her whole game, but still needs to be part of her identity.  Who's a good template from the past? I'd say the hybrid diva, Kaitlyn.  Some for her move set would suit Dana well.  A flying shoulder tackle, for instance: Girl's definitely got some broad shoulders, and it fits the face flurry-of-offense mode, especially on comebacks. Some of Kaithlyn's other moves could also fit.  (Reminders below.)  Mix the power and the gymnastics the right way and you've got something to build on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H8FWDXoKMM

4) Sell.  I don't know about house shows, but on TV we haven't seen her play face-in-peril yet: She hasn't been booked in that role, and of course, she doesn't control that. But she needs to be put in a position to generate sympathy and get the crowd behind her.  Which leads me to a thought some people may react against, but hear me out....

5) Book Dana against Nia -- in moderate amounts.  I know, I know: Taking the two least experienced, least polished members of the women's roster isn't a recipe for mat classics, or for helping either of them get better (as, say, Dana vs. Emma might have done, and might do whenever Emma gets back). But it could help Dana get over.  Fans want to see someone get in convincing offense against Nia. Dana is strong enough and thick enough that she, more than any woman on the Raw roster, could deliver that.  I could see her doing the chopping-down-the-tree comeback capped off with, say, a shoulder tackle from the top or middle rope that takes Nia off her feet.

Like I said, moderate amounts. Not a long program, if a program at all.  Not necessarily solo matches, or long ones if they are: At this point, fans won't care for those, and we know how it backfires when you force things on them.  But experiment with these two, in tags to start, maybe solo after.  Dana doesn't have to win.  She just needs to get to play the valiant babyface who can face the bully (no one else on the roster besides Nia is physically suited to that role against Dana), fight through punishment, and deliver the hope spots. Depending how long Emma's out, maybe have Dana on the verge of victory against Nia, then Emma costs her the match and they start their program.  Or maybe Dana loses to Nia a couple times, keeps demanding rematches, and finally gets a win -- then Emma attacks her afterward, spoiling her moment of triumph.

All these could be steps in the right direction, I think, and are worth a try. Anyone else have any thoughts?

P.S. Topp_Dogg, I'm not on social media, but since you've contacted her before, feel free to pass any or all of these ideas along!

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2017 at 4:35pm by kam16 »  

IP Logged

Top_Dogg

Female Muscle Rules...PERIOD!

Reply #262 - May 19th, 2017 at 7:27am

Now, this is a good post! Not degrading or backhanded compliments. Honest suggestions without tearing her down. I absolutely love the "Flex Cam" idea. That is a fan-favorite in sports. Sadly I've never seen it live, but people love it from what I've seen on YouTube (love it when a woman of muscle is caught doing it).

I'll be happy to bring this to her attention, kam16. I doubt she has that much control with her character (then again very few in WWE do) but I think she would appreciate that someone is actually trying to help her rather than degrading her. You'll get full credit, BTW.

I'll add something to the list: Change her theme. To what, I don't know. Something catchy. She's into a lot of different kinds of music (trap music is at the top of her list) so something that would be face-like but not too cheesy. But yeah, I would have a new theme for her.

Again, great post.

Founder/Owner of FitGems Nation, Ultimate Hardbods, Diva Physique, and USA Fit Cheer
IP Logged

spin
God Member

The Internet Voice of
Reason

Reply #263 - May 19th, 2017 at 5:03pm

Wow kam, if only the agents put this much thought into character development! And I'm not just talking about the women, but the guys too. Almost all of them are two dimensional. Then you hear them say on Talking  Smack or outside interviews, and it's wow, why do I never see this side of the guy on my TV?

And I'm glad that Dogg will relay your thoughts to Ashley, there's some things you thought of that she can incorporate without upsetting their precious format. But of course, now it's time to splash the cold water :

1. Kevin Dunn hates the flexing. He'll never go for the flexcam, and that would be his call. How many tight shots do we ever see of Dana flexing?

2. High fiving little girls is Bayley's gimmick. And we all know that two superstars with the same gimmick is a no-no. Japan's second best wrestler, Kairi Hojo, is coming here. She does an awesome Randy Savage elbow. They've already told her she needs to change it because it's a Bayley move.

3. She'd be a star already if she could sell. Fact is, only four of them are any good at it -- Bayley, Becky, and of course the two vets Nattie and Mickie. It's not an easy skill to learn, and they don't get enough time or training to master it. Even Sasha isn't all that good at this.

4. Shoulder tackles are Nikki's move. See point 2. And you know, if Nikki can't do those power moves she's known for, then what is she?  Grin

But she can add in more gymnastics, and working with Nia could be a good idea, maybe tags with Dana and Sasha against Nia and Emma, because both Sasha and Emma are helping Dana along.

Hope some of this works. Heck, it's better than watching Ginger and Orton matches!

IP Logged

Cas
God Member

GO BLUE!

Michigan
Reply #264 - May 19th, 2017 at 7:04pm

Excellent ideas you have Kam, boy I wish I could've gotten that in depth, good thinking my man!  Wink. I to do sincerely hope Dogg will relay the ideas from your post to Ashley, hopefully she can get Vince or HHH [Paul] to let her incorporate some of them. Wouldn't that be refreshing?

IP Logged

spin
God Member

The Internet Voice of
Reason

Reply #265 - May 19th, 2017 at 10:29pm

At the very end of this clip you'll see Hojo's great diving elbow. I would put this in the WWE section, but, you're not going to see it there:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gDN1WeS6PlY

IP Logged

kam16
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #266 - May 20th, 2017 at 8:48pm

A few hours after I suggested Dana and Nia matches, Main Event aired one. It's easily Dana's best main-roster match, I think. The psychology is right, with Nia still mostly dominant, but Dana threatening at a few points. She busts out some new offensive moves, including an apron-to-floor dive. She gets to project agony as Nia works her over. She gets a nice hope spot where she flirts with getting Nia up on her shoulders, with Nia looking briefly panicked, a new expression for her. (If Dana ever pulls it off, she should get a good pop.)

A couple of things I noticed. (1) The slower pace of a match with Nia makes Dana look more athletic when she's on offense, rather than suffering by comparison with the speed of the Horsewomen.  (2) Dana's build makes her more durable in taking Nia's offense. There's a point where she stands on Dana's broad back longer than she would with (say) Sasha or Bayley, and puts more of her weight on Dana. That's the kind of thing that earns Dana some much-needed real-life respect from fans, because they know you can only fake so much: She's enduring a lot of weight on her back.

It's actually a good match-up for Nia too. She shows more personality here, getting a bit more vocal than in her usual grim-destroyer persona. She sells a little more. She seems more comfortable working with a physically stronger opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl54mF1T598
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2017 at 10:11pm by kam16 »  

IP Logged

spin
God Member

The Internet Voice of
Reason

Reply #267 - May 20th, 2017 at 9:25pm

Yes, Dana looks ok here, because Nia is a good partner for her offense and it easier to find your place with a large stationary opponent. Nia's offense still needs a lot of improvement though. And Dana needs to work on that somersault to pin thing. Every time she does it there's way too much light between her body and her opponent's. Just looks too fake.

IP Logged

DogbiteWilliams
God Member

Liberal Atheist

Los Angeles
Reply #268 - May 28th, 2017 at 7:01am

A mind is a horrible thing to squander on religion.

IP Logged

Will_the_Thrill
YaBB Moderator

Reply #269 - Jun 8th, 2017 at 7:15pm

Big time throwback when Dana was joining NXT developmental when she really looked good. I really wish they would cut down the make up used on Dana. Even more so than wanting to see her in this shape again.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBuHGroVwAAwqcw.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 
Send Topic Print