Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Herbiceps
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Which women should/will All Elite Wrestling sign? (Read 3424 times)
Kam61
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Which women should/will All Elite Wrestling sign?
Jan 2nd, 2019 at 12:57am

Today brought some official announcements re: All Elite Wrestling, founded by Cody (Rhodes) and the Young Bucks.  With the success of the All In special, they should find a TV home on a decent-sized outlet (especially if Chris Jericho gets involved), and they've got money with the billionaire Khan family (owners of the Jacksonville Jaguars) behind them.  (More: https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/new-promotion-all-elite-wrestling-announced-a...)

So which women should and will they sign?  Starting with those who were at the first All In, Chelsea Green is the only one we know is not available, unless Madison Rayne is exclusive to ROH: Tessa Blanchard, Jordynne Grace and Britt Baker could all be prospects.  And safe to assume Brandi Rhodes is in.

Who else could be in the picture?  Thoughts?  News?  Discuss.

IP Logged

spin
God Member

The Internet Duke of Reason

Re: Which women should/will All Elite Wrestling sign?
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 3:36am

I think Madison signed a contract with ROH. As has Tenille. Tessa actually has a signed contract with Impact, but they’re on shaky grounds and I think they’ll try to work with AEW. So that means people like Allie and Rosemary and Su Yung are possibilities too, maybe Taya if her Mexican work is not a priority. Then there’s Penelope Ford and British women that WWE didn’t sign, like Viper and Jinny. Maybe finally Melissa and Mercedes finally get steady work too. Plenty of women out there for a viable division.

IP Logged

spin
God Member

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 1:54am

Kam61 gets the duke for the first correct guess. Britt Baker is the first female to sign. Brandi is in charge of recruiting the women.

Someone to keep an eye on in the future is Rob Van Dam’s girlfriend Katie Forbes, who we’ll be seeing soon at WOW under the name of Khloe Hurtz. As that name implies, she’s a charismatic Kardashian look a like. She also has a powerlifter physique and is pretty good in the ring.

IP Logged

Kam61
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2019 at 5:00am

spin wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 1:54am:
Kam61 gets the duke for the first correct guess. Britt Baker is the first female to sign. Brandi is in charge of recruiting the women.

Someone to keep an eye on in the future is Rob Van Dam’s girlfriend Katie Forbes, who we’ll be seeing soon at WOW under the name of Khloe Hurtz. As that name implies, she’s a charismatic Kardashian look a like. She also has a powerlifter physique and is pretty good in the ring.

She would be a good pick.  Here she is in a match with Jungle Grrrl (lots of promo stuff first; you might want to scroll ahead to ring entrance halfway through):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY7ssxb83Yo

Speaking of WOW women, there's also current champ Santana Garrett, who's got all it takes to be a major fan favorite.  AEW could be a great spot for her.

Here's someone else I forgot about from the first All In, because she wasn't booked in a match: Penelope Ford.  Here was her moment to shine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A_ofnqpKQg

IP Logged

Kam61
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 2:51am

Kam61 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 5:00am:

She would be a good pick.  Here she is in a match with Jungle Grrrl (lots of promo stuff first; you might want to scroll ahead to ring entrance halfway through):

Speaking of WOW women, there's also current champ Santana Garrett, who's got all it takes to be a major fan favorite.  AEW could be a great spot for her.

Here's someone else I forgot about from the first All In, because she wasn't booked in a match: Penelope Ford.  Here was her moment to shine:

Confirmed today: Penelope Ford is in -- not officially announced as signed, but present at the AEW promotion rally.  The big name of the day, though, was Chris Jericho.  Also PAC (formerly Neville).  Star power building nicely.

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2019 at 4:42am by Kam61 »  

IP Logged

Kam61
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 4:43am

Kam61 wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 2:51am:
Kam61 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2019 at 5:00am:

Confirmed today: Penelope Ford is in -- not officially announced as signed, but present at the AEW promotion rally.  The big name of the day, though, was Chris Jericho.  Also PAC (formerly Neville).  Star power building nicely.

Update: Contrary to a report I read earlier, Penelope Ford was officially announced as signed.

On a related note, Brandi Rhodes' comments (http://www.diva-dirt.com/brandi-rhodes-aew-womens-division/) included a policy that women will be paid equally.  "There's no sliding scale," she said.

IP Logged

Kam61
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 6:11am

Lots of stories on AEW this week are pointing to their status as a serious contender to WWE -- and a possible attraction for some of their talent, able to match (maybe even beat) the money those performers make now.  They've got billionaire backing and, if they get a major TV deal (as they're hinting), this looks like the first serious competition WWE has had since WCW.  (And the people behind this have a much better idea what they're doing in the business than Ted Turner ever did.)

So it's interesting to think about which WWE folk might jump ship when their contracts are up -- and which ones would interest AEW.

On the men's side, the biggest name getting kicked around is AJ Styles, since his contract is expiring and he wants a lighter schedule.  For that matter, Gallows and Anderson have been wasted, so there's a natural Bullet Club connection there.  Besides them, seeing a guy in a "Steen" T-shirt at AEW's rally reminded this week me that Kevin Owens would be a good fit; Vince will never give him a great role because of his physique.  Same might be said for Sami Zayn.  All these guys have both indy cred and WWE exposure, and all have a lot to contribute to a company.

But which women could we see there?  When you think about who's getting no air time, Dana Brooke  immediately comes to mind, but I don't know that she brings enough to the table to interest AEW.  It's hard to think of those who both could have an incentive to leave and would be attractive enough to AEW that they'd match or beat the money.  Mostly, they're either where they want to be or, if they move on by choice, would move on to another profession.

The major exception: Asuka.  Yes, she's a champ at the moment.  But even with the belt, she's not the centerpiece of her brand's division: She's #3.  She's no longer treated as something special, and her lack of English keeps her from becoming the kind of character the company wants to push.  Maybe she'd want to return to Japan, but you could see AEW having an interest in her and her having an interest in them at this stage of her career.  She could show a lot more of her stuff than she can now, assuming she has enough others to work with.

And here's one other wild card: Paige.  Might be that she reaches the point where she thinks she's ready to wrestle again, but WWE won't let her.  Once her movie is out, is she getting enough marketing opportunities to stick around? Would leaving mean burning some bridges?  Would that stop her?  I dunno.

Other thoughts?
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2019 at 3:41pm by Kam61 »  

IP Logged

spin
God Member

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 2:56pm

There’s a lot of untapped indie women out there that AEW can turn into home grown stars, so I doubt they’ll get into bidding wars for too much WWE talent. Kana would be a major coup, but with Io and Kairi signed I’d think she’d want to work joshi style matches with them first. So maybe in two years or so.

Brandi did say that talent is getting paid to the level on their cards. So who is undervalued by WWE right now AEW could elevate? My two choices would be Mickie James, and Bayley. Nick Aldis and that NWA title is going to have some affiliation with this group. Mickie can still work at a co main event level, plus she’s a great teacher. And she’s still very popular. Bayley is being completely wasted at WWE. Cody would definitely know how to use her character correctly and rebuild her to star level quickly.

I’d stay clear of Paige for now; she’s just too risky. Her injuries are really serious. It’s not a good look for a new group to be the one she injures herself in again when they know the risk.

IP Logged

Kam61
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 3:54am

Looks like Kylie Ray will be signed by AEW.  That's noteworthy because a couple weeks ago, reports were coming out that WWE would pick her up along with Viper (AKA Piper Niven), who they did sign.  So if she had a choice, score one for the new guys.

And maybe a good move for her. WWE is scooping up far more talent than they can (or will) use just to preserve their monopoly.  If she wants to work and to stand out, AEW is the better bet right now.

https://cdn20.patchcdn.com/users/22025693/20190115/120306/styles/T800x600/public
/processed_images/kylierae2-1547528199-9736.jpg

IP Logged

spin
God Member

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 5:07am

(Kam61 wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 3:54am:
Looks like Kylie Ray will be signed by AEW.  That's noteworthy because a couple weeks ago, reports were coming out that WWE would pick her up along with Viper (AKA Piper Niven), who they did sign.  So if she had a choice, score one for the new guys.

There is an American wrestler named Kylie Rae, but that’s not who AEW signed. It’s the Scottish wrestler, Kay Lee Ray.

When knows, maybe they’ll eventually sign both and do the gimmick that SHINE did when they had Kimber Lee and Kimberly wrestle each other.

IP Logged

Kam61
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 5:19am

spin wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 5:07am:

There is an American wrestler named Kylie Rae, but that’s not who AEW signed. It’s the Scottish wrestler, Kay Lee Ray.

When knows, maybe they’ll eventually sign both and do the gimmick that SHINE did when they had Kimber Lee and Kimberly wrestle each other.

Oops: The funny thing is, I actually meant to say Kay Lee Ray, but had a brain fart and put in "Kylie" (even though I kept the "Ray" spelling.  then I did the same hunting for a photo.  And it was, in fact, Kay Lee Ray who WWE was reportedly going to sign, but didn't.

To make amends, this is Kay Lee Ray:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/038AAOSw5KtaiBRq/s-l300.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9d/7f/d4/9d7fd491da92a68a5edf12243b451c67.jpg

IP Logged

6789shav
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 2:39pm

Two thoughts for the thread............

1) could the rise of AEW be a motivator for Vince to turn more of the day-to-day running of the company over to Paul L.., a.k.a. HHH?

2) granted that AEW is in its formative stage and I'm just a casual follower; as an example, I'll watch a good NBA game before I watch WWE. But, I've heard of almost none of the women that might be signed with AEW. Seems they have a lot of work ahead. One only needs to refer to the weakness and barely alive status of TNA, as an example of poor marketing and lack of financial backing. Just because the Khan family is involved won't guarantee success.

IP Logged

Jon stunner
God Member

I Love YaBB 2.4!

Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 5:19pm

6789shav wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 2:39pm:

1) could the rise of AEW be a motivator for Vince to turn more of the day-to-day running of the company over to Paul L.., a.k.a. HHH?

2) granted that AEW is in its formative stage and I'm just a casual follower; as an example, I'll watch a good NBA game before I watch WWE. But, I've heard of almost none of the women that might be signed with AEW. Seems they have a lot of work ahead. One only needs to refer to the weakness and barely alive status of TNA, as an example of poor marketing and lack of financial backing. Just because the Khan family is involved won't guarantee success.

Like with WCW, no matter how big the backers are or what big names you’ve got booked. It all depends on how you use them.

IP Logged

spin
God Member

Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 9:34pm

Kam61 wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 5:19am:
spin wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 5:07am:

Oops: The funny thing is, I actually meant to say Kay Lee Ray, but had a brain fart and put in "Kylie"

Oy! Turns out it actually is Kylie Rae.  Roll Eyes
On the podcast Dave distinctly said Kay Lee Ray, but he corrected that today.

IP Logged

spin
God Member

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 9:41pm

Jon stunner wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 5:19pm:
6789shav wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 2:39pm:

Like with WCW, no matter how big the backers are or what big names you’ve got booked. It all depends on how you use them.

1. No. Vince has no plans anytime soon to relinquish any creative control. The one factor next year that could change his thinking is the XFL.

2. The women they sign will be pretty good. There’s a lot of talented unsigned performers out there. But that really doesn’t matter much. What matters is how much they can get out of networks and streamers for rights fees. That’s the business right now.

Impact’s creative is pretty solid at the moment. But they can’t attract flies on the broadcast market; no one wants their content. So they’re suffering. AEW has the Bucks, Cody, Jericho and Omega. That’s the mix that could get them the right deal.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print